Friday, November 20, 2015

Old Ways Won't Open New Doors.

Old ways won't open new doors.

Change and growth can be hard, and one of the primary reasons they can be so challenging is because it is difficult to risk stepping out of our comfort zones and try new things.  Whether we are trying to learn a new skill, trying to change how we interact with others, or are in recovery and trying to let go of behaviors or ways of thinking, we all have to accept the fact that to achieve a new outcome, we have to be willing to try something different.

For those of us in recovery,  letting go of our rituals and thinking patterns can be scary, and leave us feeling vulnerable because for so long these rules and behaviors have served as our guidelines, and have promised us safety from what scares us.  To let go of these behaviors is a big exercise in trusting that we will be okay when we change our ways.

I know that this has been one of the hardest parts of recovery for myself, because I can see the life I want for myself: a life with a sense of love and self-acceptance for my authentic self, with more freedom and flexibility, with more presence, engagement, and connection; yet to fully realize this dream, I cannot keep doing what I've been doing for so many years.  I can't continue to listen to and barter with my eating disorder, I can't keep letting my eating disorder determine what I can and can't do,  I can't keep running to my eating disorder when what I really need to be doing is developing coping skills.  Only by changing my ways can I get to where I want to go, which is daunting, but I have to believe it's worth it.

This affirmation is ideal to use whenever we find ourselves facing the urge to use old behaviors or tactics that prevent us from stepping into growth and change.  These words simply remind us to hold in our hearts our visions for ourselves, and to make the choice to try something new in an effort to fully realize our goals and desires.  Moving away from old habits is hard, but we are resilient beings and we can do it when we set our minds and hearts to it.  So, may we all recognize and hold close our visions for ourselves so we may have the courage to try new ways of getting there.

Sending encouragement and courage to all,

Taylor







No comments:

Post a Comment