Wednesday, April 15, 2015

I Am Free to See Life in a New Way!

I am free to see life in a new way!

I really love this affirmation because it is such a simple statement, but says so much.  When I am mired in my eating disorder, everything is colored by it.  It becomes the lens through which I view the world and live my life.  Not surprisingly, going through life with this lens often becomes tiring and frustrating because it is so narrow and limiting.  Seeing life through the lens of my eating disorder feels like looking at a beautiful painting full of vibrant colors, but being unable to perceive the colors; rather, you just see shades of gray and you feel disheartened because you know the colors are there but you cannot see them.  My eating disorder strips me of so many beautiful things about life: joy, spontaneity, being present, trying new things.  And when I'm stuck in my eating disorder, seeing myself miss out on so many things I want in life, I feel sad, disheartened and lonely.

But that is why I love this affirmation! It lifts us up and reminds us that, wait, just because this has been our lens for years now, it doesn't need to remain that way.   Rather, we can choose to start seeing life differently without the narrow, limited, lifeless view of our eating disorders.  I also love how this statement touches on our freedom of choice.  Often when I am in my eating disorder, I feel trapped and stagnant.  But these words remind us that recovery is about regaining our own power and releasing ourselves from our eating disorders.  By doing this we discover a new sense of freedom.  And by choosing to work recovery, we allow ourselves to start figuring out how we want to start looking at life without the gray lens of an eating disorder.  Life is beautiful and full of color and as we walk the path of recovery we start to allow ourselves the freedom to see, experience and participate in it, rather than just watch.  So today, let's take off our eating disorder lenses and allow ourselves the opportunity to start seeing and living life without the shackles of an eating disorder!

Hoping we can all start choosing how we want to look at life,

Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment