I accept and celebrate my body, just as it is!
Once again, a big part of recovery that we return to time and again is the idea of non-judgmental acceptance. Acceptance of our feelings, emotions, of events in our lives. And of course, acceptance of our physical bodies, which are all unique. Learning to change how we view our bodies is difficult, especially after years of training ourselves to always hate our bodies for what they aren't instead of taking time to appreciate them for all that they are. I can't imagine how many hours I have spent loathing my body for not having a perfectly flat tummy, when I could have been treating it with gratitude for taking me on beautiful hikes or noticing the things I like about my body like my soft hair or long fingers. The idea of accepting our bodies instead of trying to constantly control or change them takes so much power away from our eating disorders - it allows us to start moving away from them and the behaviors they tell us will make us feel better about ourselves.
I love this affirmation because it goes further than just accepting our bodies - it tells us to celebrate them. This might seem hard after years of hating our bodies, but the more we practice accepting our bodies as they are, the more we can recognize their infinite wisdom and all that they allow us to do. And the more we take the time to notice these things, the closer we get to finding things we want to celebrate and honor about our bodies which are our vessels in this life! All of our bodies, like ourselves, are unique and beautiful in their own ways - let's take the opportunity to find out what we love about our bodies and celebrate them!
May you feel love for your body and celebrate it,
Taylor
Really appreciate looking through your blog... your affirmations and your words in support of finding meaning within your affirmation are very good to help understand what you are going through as well as your strength you are bringing to your recovery! Also, very interesting for those of us reading the blog, is how the different affirmations, from day to day, can also be applied when combating other issues beyond eating disorders... thanks for your insights!
ReplyDelete